February 20, 2008

parasitic societies

Ainsley moved with her policeman husband to a small country town last year, and she has figured out that the few people who do have jobs in the town -- including her husband -- earn their income, in one way or another, from the government (ie the taypapers) and she is shocked that the whole town runs on welfare.

"The town has a population of 650," says Ainsley, "and of these an astronomical 612 people are on some sort of government welfare benefit."

"Of the remaining 38 people, 9 are employed directly by the government - including my husband," says Ainsley, "and the remaining 29 are either shopkeepers or self-employed."

"The whole town runs on welfare," sighs Ainsley. "There are no jobs for those who want to work -- the shops and the small businesses are family-run and don't need extra staff."

"When the welfare checks come in, 612 people go out and buy what they need, and the shopkeepers and the small business men and women rake in the money."

"It's a good thing I have two children to keep me busy," laughs Ainsley, "because there's no opportunity here for me to get a part-time job to keep me occupied."

"The population is overwhelmingly very young and very old," says Ainsley. "Most of the working age people have moved to the city to find work -- but from what I've heard a lot of them just end up jobless and on the streets."

"I feel very uncomfortable living in this sort of environment and I can't wait for my husband to get a transfer back to the city."

"Country towns sound romantic," sighs Ainsley, "but they're not."

"I'm accustomed to suburban life where most people work and the only welfare recipients you are likely to meet are the aged pensioners."

"I just can't get accustomed to healthy grown men and women living on welfare, having nothing to do all day. It doesn't make sense and it certainly isn't fair."

"The one good thing about this town is that the crime rate is very low," says Ainsley. "The only trouble my husband has to deal with is alcohol related -- and that, in itself, is related to the men having nothing better to do than drink themselves silly."

"I wish I could come up with some idea to provide employment for the town so that the young men and women don't have to leave," says Ainsley, "but this drift to the city -- and whole towns becoming dependent upon welfare -- has been going on since welfare was introduced."

"I had no idea of the reality of the situation until I came here and saw it for myself."

"The economics of the situation sounds crazy but it seems to work," says Ainsley, "and I'm beginning to wonder whether the government actually promotes welfare dependency in order to provide jobs for the elite."

"In other words, rather than the welfare recipients being the parasites -- it's the other way around -- we're the parasites, feeding off them!"

"Twenty-nine people in this town live directly off welfare checks supporting 612 people -- and 9 people, including my husband, live off salaries paid from taxation."

"Altogether, 38 people is this town pay tax," says Ainsley.

"I doubt whether the tax paid by these 38 people actually covers the welfare checks supporting 612 people," explains Ainsley, "but when you take into consideration that the working and welfare ratio in the city is reversed, it all balances out."

"If the 612 people in this town living on welfare moved elsewhere," says Ainsley, "38 people, including my husband, would be out of work."

"If the millions of people in this country living on welfare moved elsewhere," adds Ainsley, "thousands of people would be out of work!"

"It's scary to accept that our country runs on welfare -- that a certain percentage of people are deliberately denied jobs and a future in order to ensure that the elite prosper," says Ainsley, "but that's the conclusion I've come to."

"I feel uncomfortable living in this environment because I am part of the elite," says Ainsley. "And this is crazy because my husband is just a policeman -- not a doctor or a lawyer."

"It's easy to get a swelled head when you've got a job or a business and you live in a country town like this."

"There are some very big fish here in this small country town," laughs Ainsley, "but they're not just big fish, they're big parasite fish, and that's nothing to be proud of, is it?"

Ainsley's story first appeared as we're all welfare parasites

Labels: , , , ,