May 30, 2010

toughen up labor laws!

Kate is 24, her husband is earning basic wages and she has a small baby that her mother minds while she does casual work - most of which causes her more trouble than the pittance she earns is worth – and she wishes that the government could toughen up labor laws and do more to crack down on exploitative employers who are treating staff like slaves.

"My mom enjoys minding the baby while I help out with the family's finances, which is a blessing because my life would be hell without her help," says Kate, "but I'm really angry with the way our system allows employers to treat casual workers so badly."

"I believe that lots of people in low-paying casual jobs are getting ripped off," says Kate. "These unscrupulous employers know we are poor and are unlikely to seek legal advice, and this is why they get away with it."

"When lawyer’s fees are likely to amount to your annual income," sighs Kate, "it's hardly worth taking action for a few weeks of unpaid casual work."

"You just shrug your shoulders and get on with life,” says Kate, “but it shouldn’t be like this in our so called civilized society.”

"Some of these unscrupulous employers will actually offer you cash-in-hand rather than go through the proper channels and submit a taxation form for you," says Kate. "They will subtly hint that you will be earning a lot more if you are not paying tax."

"On no account would I fall for this illegal and abominable ploy," says Kate, "because I will be party to a criminal act and will pay the penalty for it, putting an indelible blot on my future career - and sullying my name, my husband’s name and my son's name. It's not worth it, even if the money is good."

Read more by Kate on this subject:
  • verbal agreement lies
  • temp agencies take away hassles
  • working on trial



  • Labels: , , , , ,